WRITE TO PEERS (AND MPS), HELP STOP OR AMEND ARTICLE 50/EXIT BILL
The second reading and debate of the article 50 bill will take place in The House of Lords on Monday 20th and Tues 21st Feb but it will continue its course through the Lords into March, before being batted back to The Commons.
As discussed in our meetings, please write to peers and appeal to them to vote against article 50 and stop exit or at least give us a final vote on exit (including option to Remain) and protect the rights of non-UK, EU citizens.
- Letters are better then emails, but emails also count and due to timescales would be good to fire some emails off first
- Original and personal letters will have more impact, write from the heart, see links below for ideas of important issues/what to include
- Don’t be too long, pack in key points and keep it short and simple
Here’s a bundle of useful links.
- Timetable for the bill passing through the Lords in Feb-Mar and leading figures
- Contacts of members of the House of Lords
- How to lobby peers on the article 50 bill – including various other links
- Details on voting habits of peers that may help you choose who to target – though read the advisory note and you may want to compare with and write particularly to the list of 190 who’ll be present in debate, though there are further steps
- Blair’s speech on 17th Feb – clear, persuasive and packed with critical points, airs numerous key issues we believe
- An example of a good letter – this was received by and clearly impacted on Lord Strasburger who commented it was ‘typical of many messages I am receiving’
- Alasdair Campbell’s piece in ibtimes, 48 questions brextremists can’t or won’t answer – more useful tips and ideas
- AC Grayling’s latest piece in TNE, UK is being stolen: 4 reasons we’re still angry about brexit (or almost anything he’s written in TNE) – very wide-ranging, #fight
- Two sites logging the raft of media stories of consequences of exit: Brexit Record and Brexit Costs – They Just Keep Adding Up!
- EU IN BRUM Twitter and Facebook – constant sources of pertinent and cool information and links – scroll it and smile!
- Print your own postcards to send to peers, from Unite For Europe
- Readymade and very short and sweet email to send automatically to peers – in mode of ‘Say Neigh to May’ placard at our second rally!
- Inspiration to write furiously and links to sample letters!
Thanks, see you all soon.